Monday, February 18, 2013

Mission: Motherhood

I have always loved writing, but have never done anything with it. Here goes nothing, welcome to my blog...

Recently I found out my best friend from high school is getting married, and this brings me joy. She is someone I am glad I've stayed connected with beyond high school. You know, the kind of person you envision staying close to for the rest of your life? We stayed in contact, but just were in different seasons in life.
Fast forward 10 years beyond high school, I'm married  (6 years) and have birthed two children. And, she is newly engaged. And did not ask me to be in her wedding party. I was shocked, a little heart broken. Then reality sank in.. Duh, Nicole. We aren't close anymore. Confession: it has been hard for me to stay connected to my friends sans kids.

Perspective. God has blessed me with two wonderful children, and lets not forget a supportive husband. And I am thankful. I am blessed. However, I am a little embarrassed that it has taken me until now to realize that I have lost some close friends after birthing children. But, it makes perfect sense. Motherhood is a ministry, a lifestyle. Not a 12 hour work day. No, it is all consuming, 24/7 blood, sweat, and tears kind of ministry. It's not a job that you can punch out, call in sick, get paid vacation, or switch positions. It is life. Truly the best job out there, in my opinion. But with it, there are sacrifices and friends are or can be one of them.

Before I move on, everyone should understand the definition of sacrifice. Sacrifice: Motherhood on a daily account. Used in a sentence: I sacrificed two hours of sleep so I could wake up before my kids and attain peace and quiet. Sacrifice. "S-A-C-R" ...You get my point.

Clarification. Back to the sacrifice of losing friends. Don't get me wrong, I have friends, plenty at that. God has placed great people in my life after having children. I've found to kind of link up with other women (MOMS) who understand the "highs and lows" of motherhood. It's natural, organic, there's rhythm to mom friendships. I'm thankful that I can say, I have a handful of close "mom friends". If you are a mom, I hope you have mom friends. Because in those moments where you feel like the kettle is about to burst, the right phone call can make all the difference. Mom friends to me are the best kind of friends. They are your cheerleaders on your rough days. Therapeutic, true, understanding, honest friends. Mom friends.

Current mission in life: Motherhood. My forever mission.

1 comment:

  1. So fun, keep it up and would love to see pictures too!.:)

    ReplyDelete